- "He began his journey. For the sake of a better world and the one he loved."
- —-Portrait D
Star Ocean: The Second Story/Star Ocean: Second Evolution
- "A pharmacist who runs the town's drug store with his wife Neene. He is currently a pharmacist, but he has many talents and is the type who thoroughly masters his interest, so he is actually greatly skilled in various fields including martial arts. In exchange for his help, he asks Claude and the others to retrieve a certain herb for him."
- —STAR OCEAN: Second Departure Offical Website.
The party first run into Bowman at his pharmacy in Linga, where they find out he is friends with Keith, who they are currently trying to get an appointment with. Bowman could easily get them a meeting, but he can't just let anyone see Keith. When told that the party has explored Krosse Cave, he is somewhat skeptical, and claims that if they could explore the Cross Caves, they could easily explore the Sanctuary of Linga. He then makes a deal: if the party finds a new species of herb for him, he'll get them a meeting with Keith.
When the party returns with a herb, Bowman is so impressed, he goes to Keith's house and yells at Keith to get out. Keith's assistant then appears, and seeing the party with Bowman, lets them in.
When the party is finished at Keith's, Bowman invites them to stay over for the night. After talking to the rest of the party, Claude finds Bowman in his room thinking. Bowman then tells Claude that he has an interest in the Sorcery Globe, and would like to travel with him to get closer to it, saying that someone with his expertise would be of great value. Claude accepts his proposal and lets Bowman join the party. If a private action is triggered in Marze if Celine is not in the party but Bowman is, the two will reveal that they were once supposed to be married. It is unknown how he met his wife Ninay.
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
Immediately after the initial storyline, Bowman returns to his wife Ninay and continues to life his life out in Linga.He helps contribute to the restoration of Expel during this time, preferring to stay at home as his wife gives birth to their first child, a daughter named Eris. (This information is revealed in a private action triggered in Abba City, if Bowman is in the party and Celine is not.)
Precis, out of respect for Ninay, decides to not ask Bowman to join them on their mission. However, Bowman wants to go, and won't take 'no' for an answer. He is hesitant at first, but goes when Ninay convinces him it's the right thing to do, and that she'll still be there when he returns.
The mild-mannered pharmacist Bowman is your typical athletic male: he is proud, strong, and passionate about his interests but little else. Despite his devotion to his wife Ninay, he will still talk about and check out other pretty girls when he isn't around her. While he appears small, his muscles are well toned and surprisingly powerful. He is good at both Compounding and sports and enjoys studying, the martial arts, and advanced herbal medicine. He has an extreme dislike for fatal and/or incurable diseases.
Bowman, like Rena and Noel, uses knuckles as weapons. Unlike the two aforementioned characters, however, he is a primary fighter capable of fighting at very close range. While not having any notable stats, they are all very balanced, with his DEX and GUTS being his highest stats, usually.
Bowman's attacks are generally close range, his weapon being knuckles. While he has fast and strong attacks, he tends to quickly use up his MP, making him a fairly balanced fighter. He also possesses several Arts using medicinal pills to inflict damage and status conditions on enemies. Among his notable Special Arts are Neck Snap, which much like Ashton's Vanishing Swords will teleport him to opponents wherever they are; Self Medication, which allows him to heal himself in a similar manner to Claude's Energy Sword; and Inferno Pellets, a very fast attack that covers a large radius of explosion.
In the remake version when the player controls Bowman during random battles, his primary attack combo is two punches followed by a heavy blow with the use of both punches. He can also kick his opponent in mid-air as part of his basic attack. His powerful combos make use on his special arts as the last blow (Explosive Fist serve as the last blow for the first combo, Cataclysmic Fist is the last blow for the second and Petal Fury is the last blow for the third and final combo).
|Name||MP Cost||Level/Item Learned||Top Proficiency|
|Explosive Fist (Spirit Attack)||4||0||200|
|Poison Pellets (Poison Pills)||5||0||250|
|Neck Snap (Pillory)||6||0||380|
|Phoenix Talons (Firebird Attack)||10||0||400|
|Self Medication (Secret Medicine)||8||28||NA|
|Deadly Intersection (Death Siege)||13||35||100|
|Tornado Fist (Whirlwind Fist)||15||43||400|
|Cataclysmic Fist (Burst Fist)||28||51||200|
|Inferno Pellets (Explosion Pills)||20||66||200|
|Petal Fury (Sakura Attack)||36||74||250|
- If Bowman is recruited, it becomes impossible to recruit Precis F. Neumann.
- Bowman's favorite food is Radish Miso Soup, while his favorite instrument is the Harmonica (the latter is shared with Precis).
- Bowman's in-game sprite in Second Story/Evolution depicts him with a small ponytail, however his portrait shows him with very short hair.
- Also in-game, his sprite shows him always having his coat off, despite him having it on in his artwork and in the case of the remake, in both the opening FMV's and his dialogue portraits.
- As said in the game, Bowman used to work alongside Keith in Lacuer.
- Bowman is the only character who cannot have a romantic ending with any female character due to his marriage.
- Bowman in the original game, shares his Japanese voice with Dias Flac.