- "Fate has thrown this youth into an unknown world. Is this the will of heaven or what he himself seeks?"
- —Portait A
Claude C. Kenny is one of the two main protagonists of Star Ocean: The Second Story and its remake, Star Ocean: Second Evolution, alongside Rena Lanford. He is the son of the famous Pangalactic Federation Admiral Ronyx J. Kenny.
He is an ensign working with his father on his ship the Calnus for the Earth Federation. His father attempts to help Claude to become better in the Federation, even though Claude is not too keen of his job. During a mission, he is transported to the planet Expel, where he is mistaken for the 'Hero of Light', and this brings him into the adventure to the Sorcery Globe.
He later reappears in Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, now serving as a lieutenant within the Pangalactic Federation.
- "Son of Earth Federation Army hero Ronixis J. Kenni. Claude has his doubts, but he still attends the Federation Academy. A typical 19 year old, his major for now is Basic Combat Arts."
- —The Second Story - Hero Select.
Star Ocean: The Second Story/Second EvolutionEdit
- "A young man transported by accident to an uncharted world during a survey of an underdeveloped planet. The son of a hero, with much to prove, he finds himself on the path to greatness."
- —STAR OCEAN: Second Evolution Official Website.
He has always lived under the shadow of his father's celebrity and role-model status. Shortly after being commissioned as an Ensign in the Pangalactic Federation, he is stationed on the Calnus, his father's vessel, and sent on a reconnaissance mission on Planet Milokeenia. Once there he is given a Phase Gun by his father before the investigation team entered some odd ruins which they believed to have been destroyed by an internal explosion many years prior. After ignoring his father's warnings about a strange device which was found within one of the domes during the exploration, he is transported to the planet Expel. Landing within the leafy confines of the Shingo Forest, the young Federation officer finds a young girl named Rena Lanford threatened by a monster, whom Claude swiftly slays using his side arm. Due to the burst of light emitted from his phase gun, he is mistaken for the "Hero of Light" by Rena and the other inhabitants of Expel due to a local legend which tells of a "Hero" dressed in "Alien Raiments" and a "Sword of Light" who would arrive on Expel during its time of need. Wearing alien raiments in the form of his Earthling Pangalactic Federation uniform weilding a sword of light in the form of a phase gun and arriving on Expel during the crisis caused by the Sorcery Globe, many Expellians quickly grasp at the hope that he is the Warrior of Light. After clarifying the situation, he goes to investigate the mysterious Sorcery Globe incident in order to find clues which would help him to return to Earth.
- "Did you hear? They're saying the guy who beat Allen was the actual Hero of Light!"
- —Bartender of The Seven Dwarves bar in Salva.
Midway through the war between the Nedians and the God's Ten Wise Men, Claude and his party are part of an elite Nedian Defense Force strike team sent to nuetralize the Ten Wise Men in their home base, the former Nedian city of Phynal. Upon their insertion into the tower, Gabriel, the leader of the Ten Wise Men, decides to test the strength of his new antimatter cannon on the Calnus which is currently in orbit around Energy Nede. The powerful energy beam breaks through the vessel's shields and breaks the ship apart, killing everyone on board, including Claude's father. Claude is immensly angered by what the leader of the Ten Wise Men did, and swears to kill Gabriel to avenge his father.
Star Ocean: Blue SphereEditImmediantly after the initial storyline, Claude convinces Rena to come back to Earth with him to study medicine. He also convinces Precis and Leon to join them. He studies at the Military Academy, finally moving out of his father's shadow. However, Claude doesn't often talk to others about what happened when he was missing on the planet Expel.
When Precis sends out the SOS signal to him and Rena, they are unable to act immediantly as they are on a mission. As soon as they finish, they head to the planet Eldifice, where their ship is pulled through the planet's atmosphere, and crashes. Claude is immediantly seperated from Rena, and contracts a deadly disease. A nearby village takes him in, where he later meets up with his friends again. They go out in search of a herb to cure him of his illness, before he can join the party again.
- "There's nothing special about being courageous in times of need."
- —Claude C. Kenny
Claude has the tendency to be brash, impetuous, and usually a little late, but altruistic. Claude's good looks and noble nature tend to draw the interest of his female party members, especially Rena; he is seen to be easily jealous, especially of Dias Flac . Back home on Earth, he was noted for his frizzy blond hair and impish gleam in his eye in addition to being late and causing ruckus. He enjoys all kinds of food, though has a certain taste for steak in particular, and likes computer games as well; he dislikes the job of being a Federation officer due to the treatment he is given as the son of a hero, but his adventures on Expel and Energy Nede seem to have changed this.
- See Also: Claude C. Kenny/Battle Quotes
- "Elder, I am familiar with this swordsman. He's a powerful fighter to have on our side."
- —Symbologist Celine Jules to the Marze village elder regarding Claude's prowess in battle.
Besides majoring in Basic Combat Arts at the Academy, Claude seemed to have no practical experience in battle at the beginning of his journey but seemingly picked up on the Edarl sword style during his studies in the Basic Combat Arts, which he puts to practical use after receiving a longsword from the village elder of Arlia. He mixes acrobatic martial arts with his inner spiritual energies--most likely a manifestation of his Symbological Force invoked through sheer willpower--to execute powerful killer moves.
He wields a single longsword and dons heavy armor in battle, and is an extremely capable and versatile melee fighter with self-healing abilities and both close and long-range combat arts. Many of his Special Arts are imbued with elemental properties, however their MP cost tend to be high. Claude has the third largest range of normal ground attack, losing only to Ernest and Dias.
Star Ocean: The Second Story/Second EvolutionEdit
Star Ocean: Blue SphereEdit
- Claude's favorite instrument is the Silver Trumpet and he has been known to carry various long swords and even a portrait of Rena Lanford on his person while resting within various towns.
- Claude's favorite food is Steak.
- In his youth, "years and years" prior to the events of Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Claude had a dog with a big fluffy tail named Roddick. This was the first name that came to mind by his father when he saw the dog's tail which reminded him of his Roakian friend and adventurer, Roddick Farrence. The canine Roddick was killed after getting hit by a car. Claude rushed Roddick to the vet but the dog was already dead.
- You can permanently recruit Leon D.S. Gehste, but not Dias Flac, in Claude's scenario.
- Claude enjoys stargazing and if a private action is initiated in the village of Marze in Rena's scenario then he and Rena will agree to stargaze together when they have a free night during their adventures.
- While Claude wears a tan colored jacket in Star Ocean Second Story and Star Ocean: Second Evolution, he wears a green colored jacket in Star Ocean EX, similar to the one he wears in Star Ocean: Blue Sphere.
- Claude and Ronyx are heavily implied to be descendants of the fourth game's Stephen D. Kenny.
- While never officially stated, Claude's mother is heavily implied to be Ilia Silvestri.
- After battle, Claude has a habit of rating the party's performance on a scale of one to ten. Ilia demonstrated the same habit years before Claude was born, which would seem to further support the theory that she is his mother.
- In Second Story, Claude's last name is Kenni. But in Second Evolution it is changed to Kenny.
- Like Fayt Leingod from the third mainstream installment of the series, Claude also has a love for computer games. This can be noted on two of his winning quotes, where he says "Claude has advanced forward" and "Advanced Forward!", make a reference to "Level Up" in RPG Games.
- Claude is well-known to be a game breaking character due to the ability to obtain the Eternal Sphere sword really early in the game. The sword is exclusive to Claude and not only is it easily among the best three weapons of the entire game, but it also spray stars with each attack, making it easy to daze and stun-lock enemies and bosses.
- Claude bears some resemblance to Cress Albane of the tales series.
|Star Ocean: Blue Sphere|
|Earth - Edifice|
|Earthling - Edifian - Expelian - Fellpool - Nedian - Tetrageniot|
|Enemies - Items - Locations - Special Arts - Symbology|