- "His heart heavy with a tragic past, he draws his sword once again...to forget..."
- —Portrait E.
Star Ocean: The Second Story/EvolutionEdit
- "He was a childhood friend of Rena, but a certain incident has left a deep scar within him. Traveling in search of strength, he became a vagrant swordsman. Cool-headed and unable to trust others, his skills as a swordsman are considered to be the greatest."
- —STAR OCEAN: Second Departure Official Website.
Two years prior to the events of the storyline, Dias and his family were attacked by bandits. His parents and sister died, and Dias himself was badly injured, but he managed to survive. After that incident, however, his life changed: he came to believe he was somehow responsible for the death of his family, for not being able to protect them. Dias then left Arlia and travelled all over Expel, becoming a renowned swordsman.
- "Call me what you will, but I don't feel like babysitting a bunch of people who will be nothing but a burden to me."
- —Dias Flac.
Dias is met for the first time in Marze, when the children of Marze are held captive in the Forest of Symbols and a plan is being devised to rescue them. As it turned out, Dias was hired to attempt to rescue the children. If Rena is the chosen protagonist, Dias will join temporarily to help Rena carry out the rescue mission. After the events that unfold, Dias says to Claude that he anticipates the day their swords will cross, and he heads off again.
Dias later reappears in Lacuer during the Lacuer Armory Contest, in which he is a participant. It is then that Dias and Claude finally face off against each other. Not surprisingly, Claude loses the fight against Dias. Nevertheless, Dias acknowledges his strength, and says he looks forward to seeing him again.
- "I'm telling you, he's first-class swordsman. He'd be a huge asset to us out there!"
- —Rena Lanford pleading her case to Claude Kenny and Celine Jules.
Near the end of the first half of the game, at the Lacuer Front Line Base, Dias runs into Claude and Rena once again. If Claude is the protagonist, he and Dias will ensue in a short conversation, after which Dias asks Claude to protect Rena for him, and then he leaves. If Rena is the chosen protagonist, however, the player can opt to make Dias a permanent addition to the party.
Star Ocean: Blue SphereEditLittle is known about where Dias went during the two years between the games. It is likely he reverted to his old ways of wandering the world alone, looking to better himself and his sword.
Precis manages to find him and ask him to join the cause. Dias then volunteers to join, so that he may protect them himself. He mostly joins out of duty to Rena, wanting to continue to protect her.
- "Going on an adventure doesn't really change me or anything. I keep pursuing greater and greater levels of strength, and in the end, I've accomplished nothing."
- —Dias to his childhood friend, Allen Tucks.
An expressionless swordsman, Dias' eyes sparkle with a cold light. He is cold, callus, and arrogantly proud. The blue-haired warrior enjoys practicing his own unique swordfighting style that he developed himself, meshing the Edarl sword style with the martial arts of Karate. Disliking bandits and robbers with a hatred born of the murders of his family, Dias enjoys simple pleasures such as food and sleep.
- "Rena, I'm not some knight in shining armor. I'm not gonna kill every single monster by myself out there."
- —Dias speaks with Rena prior for departing to El.
Dias uses a fighting style very similar to iaido , a Japanese sword-based martial art associated with unsheathing and resheathing one's sword.
Dias is often considered the most powerful character in the game, tied with Claude, Ashton and Welch. He's a mobile character, having the second faster movement speed (losing to Chisato). Most of his Special Arts are fast and deadly, usually with a low MP consumption, and reach their Top Profiency fast, meaning they achieve full potential in short time. His normal ground attack has one of the highest ranges.
|Name||MP Cost||Level/Item Learned||Top Proficiency|
|Crescent Cross (Cross Wave)||8||0||120|
|Pale Moonlight (Crescent Wave)||10||0||130|
|Moonlight Arc (Crescent Moon Flash)||13||48||100|
|Phoenix Drive (Hawk Scream Blast)||16||56||100|
|Full Moon Slash||25||63||100|
|Deadly Illusion (Illusion)||21||70||420|
|Phoenix Blast (Firebird Shock Wave)||30||78||200|
- Dias cannot join your party unless you're playing with Rena.
- Dias' favorite instrument is the Cembalo.
- Dias' favorite foods are Chicken Skewer (on Second Story) and Shish Kebab (on Second Evolution).
- Some time during Dias' and Rena's youth the young swordsman gave Rena a tiara made of grass as a gift.
- In Second Evolution only, Dias can keep his Swallowblade sword after the Lacuer Armory Contest; the weapon was called Sharpness in The Second Story.
- Originally, in The Second Story, there were no PAs whatsoever that involved Dias. That, fortunately, has been changed in Second Evolution.
- Dias' Voice Actor, Kyle Hebert, is also the Voice Actor of both Crowe F. Almedio and Arumat P. Thanatos from Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
|Star Ocean: Blue Sphere|
|Earth - Edifice|
|Earthling - Edifian - Expelian - Fellpool - Nedian - Tetrageniot|
|Enemies - Items - Locations - Special Arts - Symbology|