Erys is generally upbeat and friendly, but shows occasional glimpses of a more sadistic side when her temper rises, usually to the great bewilderment of onlookers. This may be influenced by her former experience as an assassin, but conversations with her brother Ioshua indicate that she was plucking feathers from his wings long before their separation. She has a fixation with "turning (things) to ash", using variations of the phrase in occasions ranging from gloating over defeating enemies to dogs who growl at her in town. She possesses a great sense of guilt for the lives she has taken in the past, and tries to cope with the burden without troubling others.
Before the Events of Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Odyssey/First Departure
- Erys Jerand, a Featherfolk, is born to unknown parents on the planet Roak. She is the niece of Sarah Jerand, and sister of Ioshua Jerand.
Between S.D. 32 - S.D. 46
- The shadow of Del Argosy; "The Crimson Shield," attacks and murders Ioushua and Erys' parents.
- Ioshua is left for dead while Erys is abducted and brainwashed into becoming an assassin for the Demon World.
- Erys murders many, powerful symbologists and is adopted the name "Deathwing" by the populace.
- At some point, she botches an assassination of a powerul symbologist who shows her mercy and nurses her back to health. During her recovery, repressed memories begin to surface and she remembers her parents' murder and their murderer, "The Crimson Shield." Overcome with shame, she vows to seek revenge.
- Using ancient lore given to her by her would-be-victim turned friend, she freezes her body in the Old Race Ruins and transfers her soul into the body of a Muah vessel, and adopts the name "Mavelle Froesson."
- The party travels south to Ionis. At the entrance they see Ronyx and Mavelle Froesson, a woman Ronyx and Millie met in their travels. Mavelle is arguing with a man known as "The Crimson Shield," who she claims killed her parents and brother. The Crimson Shield says it is a case of mistaken identity and leaves.
- All the reunited members celebrate in a bar. Mavelle steps outside for a moment. Roddick, Ronyx, and Ashlay quickly follow and learn that Mavelle's body is not her true one, rather, she traded her old body for her current one to become more powerful. Ronyx is understandably disturbed by this. Ashlay says he once fought alongside the Crimson Shield. He also reveals that he turned evil after going on a mission to retrieve a mirror for the King of Van that turned out to be cursed.
- Ilia says that they need to find the host of the virus who is identified as the demon king Asmodeus. Since the King of Van has been fighting against the demon world for some time, they travel to Van Castle Town.
- On the way to Van Castle, the group stumbles upon a remote hut, where they find a girl working on her inventions. That girl introduces herself as Welch Vineyard, who just so happens to be the same Welch from Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Ronyx notes that most of her inventions are far more advanced than anything they have found on Roak, making him wonder who she is, exactly. Welch doesn't care to give any details, and asks Roddick if she can travel with him. Roddick agrees, and Welch is more than happy to tag along.
- The King puts the party through a trial to see if they have any chance of defeating the demons and they succeed.
- The King then reveals that it is impossible to enter the demon world from this side. Rather, portals can only be opened from the demon world to Roak. The party insists there must be some other way. The King elaborates that a portal was opened once by the original Muah a long time ago and they are responsible for the link that still exists today. They accomplished it by creating a special treasure called the Eye of Truth. He also reveals the original Muah were not babies, rather they were sprung forth as full-grown adults. Finally, the King says that the Muah left different bits of information with each of the other kingdoms of the world and tells the party to visit other countries for more information. He gives you the emblem of Van and his blessing.
- Ronyx reveals that he was taught magic (also known as Symbology or Runology) by Millie. Ronyx regrets he did not learn it sooner, as it may have been able to save his wife who died several years ago. Ilia says that is unlikely, as it was unable to cure the disease on Roak.
- The party, on their way to the ice country of Silvalant, recruits T'Nique Arcana and Pericci, who they saved earlier. They also pass a village named Dulus along the way and learn the entrance to the demon world is nearby.
- The crew arrives at Silvalant castle town in which all the residents are in a state of quarantine because of the war. The party meets with the king.
- The King reveals that the entrance to the demon world is on a small island to the south. He gives you the emblem of Silvalant, a key to access some ancient Silvalant ruins, as well as access to the port.
- Roddick and crew travel to the Silvalant ruins, to the east. In the inner-most sanctum, they find a golden-winged, Featherfolk girl, encased in ice, Ioshua identifies as his sister, Erys Jerand. Mavelle warns everyone to stay back or she will be forced to attack them. Ioshua is obviously not too pleased by this and an argument erupts. Here, we find out that Mavelle is actually Erys and with encouragement from both Ioshua and Ashlay, she transfers her soul back into her original body and continues her journey with the party.
- The party travels to Muah castle. The King also puts the party through a trial, to dispose of the monsters in the treasure room. Roddick and crew succeed. The King thanks you and gives you the emblem of Muah.
- The group then travels to Astral castle. The King gives you the emblem of Astral and tells you some cryptic passages that have been passed down through generations.
- The group travels back to the Purgatorium. They meet the spirits once more and show them the 4 emblems. The spirits wonder if they are the ones the ancient Muans predicted would come. They are then transported into the inner sanctum, which is very high-tech with computers and machines obviously far beyind anything the Roakians are capable of.
- The party reaches the bottom. Using the phrases the King of Astral gives you and the hint provided there, the password to open the final door is "Earth." Ilia and Ronyx are understandably shaken by this turn of events. Inside is a holographic projection of the planet Earth. Ilia notices a large continent in the Pacific Ocean and that it could be the legendary continent of Mu that supposedly existed a long time ago. It is said the civilization was very advanced but was destroyed by a meteorite. A hologram of a person appears who explains that he and his fellow Muah were somehow transported to this planet while the meteorite hit. Ilia recalls incidents in the Federation where people sometimes were transported short distances by space-time vortexes but nothing nearly this far. The hologram reveals that the Eye of Truth's purpose was to open a wormhole to allow the Muah to return to Earth. Something went wrong, however, and it opened a gate to the demon world instead. The party retrieves the Eye of Truth and returns to Silvalant.
- The King thanks them for their efforts and asks them to enter the demon world at the small island to the south. At that time, a demon runs in and warns the party they are too late, as a massive weapon has been developed. There is a rumbling and it's revealed the entire village of Dulus was destroyed. The party leaves right away to the demon world before the weapon can be used again.
- The party arrives inside of the demon world, only to be greeted by the Crimson Shield. He attacks and is defeated by the party. Ronyx points out to Erys that she has finally achieved her revenge. Ashlay feels remorse for defeating an old comrade. The Crimson Shield says not to feel bad and to hurry for Astral. He warns that while the crew was distracted, his evil shadow attacked in order to secure "the bladeless swords." The party quickly uses the Eye of Truth to travel immediately to Astral and defeats the Crimson Shield's shadow. They retrieve "the bladeless swords" from Lias and Ilia reveals them to actually be force swords, much like they have in the Federation, however, much older. Unbeknownst to the party, these force swords once belonged to Crowe F. Almedio, Roddick's Muan ancestor. New weapons in tow, the group travels back to the demon world to enter Asmodeus' stronghold.
- Before they can leave Astral City, however, Phia offers her services to the group and joins the party to fight.
- The party enters Asmodeus' stronghold, which is some sort of biological research laboratory. They reach a computer which Ilia tries to hack into but it sets off an alarm and Asmodeus appears. His henchmen attack the group and Asmodeus runs away.
- The party chases Asmodeus. Suddenly, 2 men appear, detain him, and take a blood sample. Noticing Roddick and crew, they quickly leave. Ilia says they must have been the 3rd party who originally killed Asmodeus. In order not to change history or potentially create a time paradox, the party kills Asmodeus and takes a blood sample for their own use.
- Roddick and everyone return to the King of Van who praises their efforts and thanks them for restoring peace to Roak.
- Roddick, Ronyx, Ilia, and Millie travel back to the future via a gate in northeast Silvalant, taking the blood sample with them.
- Admiral Beize of the Federation reveals to Ronyx that a ship from the planet Fargett appeared in Federation space out of a wormhole and demanded the Federation to surrender. It was learned that on Fargett, a superhuman named Jie Revorse is the mysterious third party who plotted against Earth. He has established a dictatorship but there is a lot of opposition on the planet. The Admiral authorizes Ronyx to put down this uprising and permits him to use the Time Gate.
- Ronyx and Ilia return to Roak to retrieve Roddick and Millie. The four once again use the time gate to recruit their friends from Roak's past.
- The party takes the wormhole to planet Fargett and beams down to the surface. Immediately, they are captured by Jie's soldiers.
- Ivana, leader of the resistance movement on Fargett rescues them. She reveals that planet Fargett has few natural resources, so they studied genetic engineering as well as wormhole technology to survive and seek out resources. Jie Revorse is the only successful product of this genetic research and has gone mad.
- Ronyx, Roddick, and everyone else travel to the top of Jie's tower. Jie reveals that not all the Muans were sent to Roak and that some were also sent there, to Fargett - so they all share a common ancestor. Jie gazes upon Erys and sees her time as Mavelle, recognizing the woman as a Muan.
- The party fights and defeats Jie Revorse.
- The Roakians from the past travel home.
- Erys and Ioshua are visiting the grave site of their parents. Ioshua chastizes Erys for not staying by his side, worried he'll lose her again. She retorts by telling him not to worry and rushes off, telling him it's time to leave. He quickly follows, continuing to worry he'll lose her.
- Sometime later, everyone meets up atop Mt. Metorx. They come together to plant a sapling in hopes Roddick and Millie will see it in the future. Ashlay places his sword in the dirt by it and Pericci, her Ocarina. Erys uses Symbology to slow time for the tree and items, so that it grows at a pace where it will survive for over 300 years.
To get Erys, you need to have recruited Ashlay, Ioshua, and Mavelle. If not, you can't get her. After recruiting those three, go into the Old Race Ruins, northeast of Silvalant. Go deep into the ruins, until you find the room with a bunch of Muah.
Pick the 2nd option when Ioshua goes crazy, and you will get Erys.
NOTE: if you get Erys, you lose Mavelle forever.
Erys, like Ioshua, uses rods as weapons and specializes in healing and offensive Symbology. She sacrifices mid and low tier offensive spells for a wider range of healing and support magic than her brother, while retaining powerful high tier destruction spells. Her preferred elements are Fire and Light, which effect a wide range of creatures despite her lack of resistance diversity.
|Name||MP Cost||Level/Item Learned|
|Meteor Swarm||70||(Item, Revorse Tower 2F)|
|Extinction||60||(Item, Cave of the Seven Stars B15)|
- During recruitment, Mavelle's affection ratings for everyone and vice versa are carried over to Erys.
- Erys's starting level upon recruitment is level 50, making her the only recruitable character with the highest starting level.
- Erys and Millie are the only characters in SO1 with a resurrection spell and a status-ailment-curing spell in their arsenal.
- She is heavily implied to be the niece of the fourth game's Sarah Jerand.