- "Is there any point in fighting just for the sake of fighting?"
- —Ioshua Jerand
Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Odyssey/First Departure
Son of a great Symbologist of Silvalant, Ioshua is first encountered by the party at the secret entrance to the Purgatorium, where he enlists the help of the party to move a rock blocking the entrance. After helping him out, Ioshua explains that he is on a quest to find his lost sister, Erys, who he was seperated from years ago after the Crimson Shield attacked his family.
After leaving the Purgatorium, Ioshua is offered with the chance to join Roddick Farrence's group. Together they travel to the Van Kingdom, where they meet with Roddick's friends and a mysterious woman, Mavelle Froesson. Upon seeing Ioshua, Mavelle joins the group in their travels as well.
Later, at the Old Race Ruins, the group finds a strange device in a room filled with frozen Muah. There Mavelle reveals to the group she is actually Erys Jerand and used the device in the room to switch bodies with a frozen Muah. If Ashlay IS in the party, she will switch back to her old body, then reunite with Ioshua and join the party. If not, she will merge with the body in the ice without giving herself her own body, dying in the process so as to repent for her life of murders.
To get Ioshua, you must first, after your adventures in Astral, choose to go to the Purgatorium when given the choice. In other words, you must visit Purgatorium ASAP. The first opportunity is after the incidents in Astral. Go to Purgatorium, and from the main entrance, go back to the world map and hug the mountain range to the right of Purgatorium, the one that leads to a dead end. It will eventually take you to the secret entrance of Purgatorium. Ioshua will then request your help, and join your party as you explore Purgatorium.
At the end of the quest, you are given 2 choices after Ioshua says he's about to leave:
- Ask him to join.
- See him off.
If you choose the first choice, he will ask you yet again. Tell him you want him to join, and he will say something about feeling the strong convictions of Roddick and join the party, then join you.
Ioshua will not join if:
- You did not go to Purgatorium at your first chance.
NOTE: Ioshua is absolutely necessary to get Erys.
Ioshua is usually gentle and calm, but tends to become emotional in matters concerning his sister. Having experienced tragedy at a young age, he resents any kind of violence. Ioshua seems to have a sister complex that goes beyond the loss he felt for their separation. This is most clearly evident in his unwillingness to let her and Roddick Farrence be alone with each other, and how he enjoys telling stories of how she used to "cutely" pluck feathers from his wings when she was mad (much to the great discomfort of his audience).
Ioshua is proficient in offensive Symbology and posseses a small amount of healing spells, and uses a staff as a weapon. One of his accessory slots is permanently filled with the "Feather Ring". The ring provides a +5 DEF bonus, but otherwise offers no benefit and prevents him from combining the effects of other accessories. He is proficient in Water, Wind, Earth, and Light elemental Symbology.
|Name||MP Cost||Level/Item Learned|
|Extinction||60||(Item, Cave of the Seven Stars B15)|
- In the SNES version, he is the only character who can use both healing and damage dealing spells.
- Ioshua is one of two characters who are unable to remove a starting accessory, the other being Phia. This restriction may have been due to his versatility in magic types, but there is no real evidence to support this. (In the PSP version, Erys has the same benefit but lacks the restriction.)
- Mavelle Froesson automatically joins your party if you have recruited Ioshua.
- If you recruited Ioshua with Cyuss or Phia (the latter requires you recruit Ioshua to keep in the party), you can remove Mavelle from your party permanently when you visit a certain room in the Old Race Ruins. However, if you recruited Ioshua with Ashlay, you can still eliminate Mavelle while getting Ioshua's sister, Erys Jerand in return.
- Ioshua is heavily implied to be the nephew of the fourth game's Sarah Jerand.
- In the PSP version, some of his spells were replaced. Tractor Beam, Earthquake, Word of Death, Dark Circle and Meteor Swarm were removed. Magnum Tornado, Fohn Wind, Thunder Cloud, Star Flare, Noah, Faerie Healing and Stone Rain were added.