Laser Beams, also known as Ray, is a recurring spell in the Star Ocean series. It is a low-rank light or non-elemental symbology spell that consists of a symbol that creates rays of light that flood the area, hitting all enemies on screen.
It is introduced in Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Odyssey as Ioshua Jerand and Ronyx J. Kenny attack symbol. When cast, small mirrors will appear and rays of light will be reflected and damage the enemies. The symbol was listed again in the PSP remake, Star Ocean: First Departure.
It is included in the second game, Star Ocean: The Second Story and its PSP remake in Rena Lanford's and Celine Jules' symbology list. Once invoked, beams of light will rain down from an area with concentrated energy in the sky. This appearance applies to Star Ocean: The Second Story, First Departure and Second Evolution.
Laser Beams make another appearance as Sophia Esteed and Adray Lasbard attack symbol in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. When a character use Laser Beams, an orb will appear in front of him/her and rise up to the sky. A glyph is carved on the ground and the ray of light will rain heavily on the opponent.
- "Rays of light flood the area, hitting all enemies on the screen."
- —Symbol Description, First Departure.
- "A spell that attacks all enemies on the screen with countless rays of light."
- —Symbol Description, The Second Story.
Sophia Esteed and Adray Lasbard can use Laser Beams. Both learn this spell at level 54. It costs 150 MP normally. It is non-elemental in this installment; this is likely due to the continued research of symbols since SD 366 in order to make Laser Beams more effective against enemies immune or strong against the element of light.
Celine Jules used this symbol while battling Gargoyle in Krosse Cave and Demon Bird Jean.
As of SD 366, symbologists on Expel had developed the ability to combine different symbols of certain elements in order to make a completely new hybrid symbol; this ability had been known on Energy Nede for quite some time. Laser Beams, a light elemental symbol in Roakian, Expellian, and Nedian symbology, can be combined with several other spells to create unique symbological phenomenon.
- Laser Beams + Star Light
This symbol behaves like a standard Star Light symbol except that a single target is given a barrage of laser beams in addition to the beams of solar light. This symbol is one of the earliest hybrid symbols available to the party and thus is not a spectacularly strong spell, nevertheless, it is useful at the early stages of the Hero of Light's adventures. In order to successfully invoke this symbol, begin to cast either spell and immediately invoke the remaining smybol.
Other possible combinations with Laser Beams
- Laser Beams + Laser Beams: Earliest combination achieved in the game. Somehow doubles the damage dealt by single Laser Beams.
- Laser Beams + Earth Grave (Crushing Earth): Hits target affected by Earth Grave with low damage.
- Laser Beams + Tractor Beam: Only hits a group of enemies that can be affected by Tractor Beam.
- Laser Beams + Light Cross: Hits all enemies although did not do heavy damage.
- Laser Beams + Lunar Light: Hits all enemies and deals better damage compared with other Laser Beams combinations.
- Laser Beams + Star Flare: Hits all opponents. However, has lower rating compared with Laser Beams + Lunar Light.
- Laser Beams + Shadow Bolt: Hits one target with low amount of damage upgrade.
- Laser Beams + Black Saber: Hits one target with low damage.
- Laser Beams + Shadow Flare: Hits all opponents with moderate damage.
- Ray was renamed to Laser Beams in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. The subsequent usage of the Laser Beams name over Ray in First Departure and Second Evolution can be seen as a sort of gaffe; Roak and Expel are underdeveloped planets with no knowledge of lasers, and the sight of Claude's Phase Gun in action evokes myths and legends to explain it, rather than an understanding of technology.
|Healing - Cure Light - Cure All - Faerie Healing - Faerie Light - Ex Healing - Faerie Star - Recovery - Refresh - Revival - Restoration - Ressurection - Antidote - Cure Condition - Neutralize|
|Power Up - Enshelter - Reflection - Angel Feather - Silence - Acid Rain - Deep Mist - Fix Cloud - Word of Death - Dark Sphere - Haste - Delay - Anti - Forget - Bless - Curse - Gravitation - Void - Symbolic Weapon - Enlighten - Sacred Pain|
|Fire Bolt - Eruption - Explosion - Atomic Dragon - Efreet - Volcanic Burst|
|Ice Needles - Deep Freeze - Noah - Ice Age - Arctic Impact|
|Thunder Bolt - Thunder Storm - Thunder Cloud - Tempest Volt - Lightning Blast - Thunder Flare - Lightning Strike - Plasma Cyclone|
|Earth Glaive - Crushing Earth - Earthquake - Stone Rain - Panda!! - Terra Hammer|
|Wind Blade - Sonic Saber - Magnum Tornado - Fohn Wind - Blast Hurricane - Tornado|
|Wounds - Shadow Bolt - Black Saber - Shadow Flare - Tetanus Wind - Ravenous Fiend - Demon's Gate - Dark Passage - Shadow Needles - Dark Devourer - Vampiric Blade|
|Laser Beams - Light Cross - Star Light - Star Flare - Southern Cross - Lunar Light - Celestial Arrow - Radiant Lancer - Aurora Rings - Sunflare|
|Crush - Gravity Crush - Tractor Beam - Energy Arrow - Extinction - Divine Wave - Blood Scylla - Ascension Choir - Reaping Spark - Meteor Swarm|
|Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Odyssey/First Departure - Star Ocean: The Second Story/Second Evolution - Star Ocean: Blue Sphere - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Star Ocean: The Last Hope|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found