Symbology, also known as Heraldry or Runology, is a recurring ability in the Star Ocean series that consists on the summoning of paranormal effects inside the battlefield via the use of symbols. It is only available to a small number of playable characters, its power depending on the caster's Intelligence stat (INT/MAG) and, when used, costs Mental Points (MP). Symbology has a wide array of effects, such as dealing elemental damage to foes, healing allies or granting bonuses or ailments on characters and enemies.
Symbology, Volumes 1 & 2Edit
Located within the library of the village elder of Marze, the first volume on Symbology states:
The effectiveness of Symbology spells can be increased through repeated use. Over time , a spell can be developed into a truly powerful form.
The second volume reads:
Hasten Speech and Concentration can considerably boost the skill of a symbologist. Hasten Speech can shorten incantation time; Concentration allows for uninterrupted incantations. Symbologists who have acquired these skills will find themselves at an advantage in any batle.
- Main article: List of Star Ocean Symbology
Symbology is a very common sight on Roak, and thus, a total of four symbologists are available to use:
- Millie Chliette, a Fellpool who specializes in healing and supportive symbols.
- Ronyx J. Kenny, an Earthling who learned about symbology upon reaching Roak and specializes in Dark, Fire, Earth, and Thunder elemental symbology.
- Ioshua Jerand, a Featherfolk who specializes in Earth, Water, Wind and Light elemental symbols, but can also use healing symbology.
- Erys Jerand, a Featherfolk who has the widest array of spells of any character, and specializes in Light and Fire elemental symbols, as well as supportive and healing symbols.
- Main article: List of Star Ocean 2 Symbology
Although the population of Expel is familiar with symbology, its population has no knowledge of any healing symbols. Only Nedian characters can use healing symbology since Nede has had a deep connection with symbology for millenia. Four symbologists are again available; they are:
- Rena Lanford, a Nedian who is an expert in healing symbology.
- Celine Jules, an Expellian who specializes in Fire, Thunder and Light elemental symbols.
- Leon D.S. Gehste, an Expellian fellpool who uses mainly Water and Dark elemental symbols.
- Noel Chandler, a Nedian who is proficient in both Earth and Wind elemental symbology, as well as healing symbols.
- Main article: List of Star Ocean Blue Sphere Symbology
The cast of Star Ocean: The Second Story return, exploring the mysterious planet Edifice. Rena, Celine, Leon and Noel all serve the same symbologist roles as before.
- Main article: List of Star Ocean 3 Symbology
Symbology has spread throughout the entire galaxy as of S.D. 772, and thus, most characters are able to use it. The main difference between potential casters is the proficiency to use it, as the INT stat differs vastly between characters.
- Fayt Leingod, an Earthling who gains the ability to use minor symbology, He also has the genetic symbol for Destruction.
- Sophia Esteed, an Earthling who learns almost all forms symbology learned druring her travels, but is most proficient in healing symbology, She also has the genetic symbol for Connection.
- Maria Traydor, an Earthling who specializes in support symbology, She also has the genetic symbol for Alteration.
- Nel Zelpher, an Elicoorian who learns minor symbology.
- Adray Lasbard, an Elicoorian who is a master of symbology, and uses a vast array of symbols.
- Main article: List of Star Ocean 4 Symbology
- Edge Maverick, an Earthling who learned the ways of symbology on his travels and uses a small variety of symbols including light-elemental, supportive and healing symbols.
- Faize Sheifa Beleth, an Eldarian who specializes in earth elemental symbols and also uses ice and dark elemental offensive symbols.
- Lymle Lemuri Phi, a Lemurisian who is an expert in fire elemental symbology, but uses basic healing symbols as well as symbols of other elements.
- Myuria Tionysus, a Morphus who specializes in thunder and dark elemental symbols but also uses water and intermediate level healing symbology.
- Arumat P. Thanatos, an Eldarian who uses mainly earth and fire elemental symbols.
- Sarah Jerand, a Featherfolk who specializes in advanced healing and supportive symbols, but also is able to use light, thunder, and wind elemental offensive symbology.
|Healing - Cure Light - Cure All - Faerie Healing - Faerie Light - Ex Healing - Faerie Star - Recovery - Refresh - Revival - Restoration - Ressurection - Antidote - Cure Condition - Neutralize|
|Power Up - Enshelter - Reflection - Angel Feather - Silence - Acid Rain - Deep Mist - Fix Cloud - Word of Death - Dark Sphere - Haste - Delay - Anti - Forget - Bless - Curse - Gravitation - Void - Symbolic Weapon - Enlighten - Sacred Pain|
|Fire Bolt - Eruption - Explosion - Atomic Dragon - Efreet - Volcanic Burst|
|Ice Needles - Deep Freeze - Noah - Ice Age - Arctic Impact|
|Thunder Bolt - Thunder Storm - Thunder Cloud - Tempest Volt - Lightning Blast - Thunder Flare - Lightning Strike - Plasma Cyclone|
|Earth Glaive - Crushing Earth - Earthquake - Stone Rain - Panda!! - Terra Hammer|
|Wind Blade - Sonic Saber - Magnum Tornado - Fohn Wind - Blast Hurricane - Tornado|
|Wounds - Shadow Bolt - Black Saber - Shadow Flare - Tetanus Wind - Ravenous Fiend - Demon's Gate - Dark Passage - Shadow Needles - Dark Devourer - Vampiric Blade|
|Laser Beams - Light Cross - Star Light - Star Flare - Southern Cross - Lunar Light - Celestial Arrow - Radiant Lancer - Aurora Rings - Sunflare|
|Crush - Gravity Crush - Tractor Beam - Energy Arrow - Extinction - Divine Wave - Blood Scylla - Ascension Choir - Reaping Spark - Meteor Swarm|
|Star Ocean: Fantastic Space Odyssey/First Departure - Star Ocean: The Second Story/Second Evolution - Star Ocean: Blue Sphere - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Star Ocean: The Last Hope|
|Star Ocean: Blue Sphere|
|Earth - Edifice|
|Earthling - Edifian - Expelian - Fellpool - Nedian - Tetrageniot|
|Enemies - Items - Locations - Special Arts - Symbology|