The Underdeveloped Planet Preservation Pact, UP3 for short, is a treaty aimed at protecting planets with civilizations that are not yet fully developed and also in order to protect the balance of the galaxy. Federation laws strictly prohibit contacts with the population of such planets, because contacts between higher civilizations and the population of the underdeveloped world influences the history and the evolution of underdeveloped worlds greatly, denying them their own way of development.
All the citizens belonging to the Pangalactic Federation are required to adhere to this treaty, unless there is a clear and present danger to a person's life. This treaty is one of the most important sets of rules in the Pangalactic Federation, and delineates how Federation citizens must act when in contact with an underdeveloped civilization. The UP3 also states that if Federation personel interact with people on an underdeveloped planet beyond a certain limit, then those individuals must not be allowed to return to their own world but are then brought into the Federation. For example, when Pangalactic Federation Captain Ronyx J. Kenny and Head Science Officer Ilia Silvestri offered to help Roddick Farrence, Millie Chliette, and Dorne Mutough cure the petrifying virus plauging the Roakian village of Coule in S.D. 346 they warn the Fellpool that they cannot return to their homes if they agree to interact this closely with the Federation.
During the years S.D. 10 and 11, captain Edge Maverick together with other SRF-003 Calnus passengers came in contact with several underdeveloped civilizations while carrying out his exploration mission. The very first of such contacts took place on the planet Lemuris. The Lemurisians considered SRF-003 Calnus a Celestial Ship and treated Edge, Reimi and Faize as gods who will solve all their hardships, bowing in front of them. This did not lead to any major incidents as the group managed to persuade the Lemurisians to stop considering them gods and to treat them as friends instead. However, the second time was a different story.
After being sucked into a strange black hole-like object, the SRF-003 Calnus appeared in an alternative reality on planet Earth in the year 1957. While being there, due to his own naivity, Edge was tricked by Milla Bachtein to let them have the Calnus' exalithium core which ultimately led to the Earth's annihilation due to the failed experiment of pair annihilation in a Kevin antimatter reactor in the Area 51. After this incident Edge was shocked and was shaken by his own guilt so much that he was unable to command SRF-003 Calnus anymore, leaving Reimi to take the lead.
During their time on the planet Roak, Edge was very careful to not directly interfere in Roakian's business, even to the point his inner self was refusing to help to rescue Sarah Jerand. His experiences both on alternative-Earth and here on Roak led him into belief that the humanity has no right to intervene in the affairs of young civilizations. Moreover, he considered such interventions as the same thing the Grigoris did to numerous worlds, speeding up the evolutions of entire races and civilizations just to destroy them.
After the events of Nox Obscurus, Stephen D. Kenny considered making a universal alliance with both developed and underdeveloped planets with the aim to teach them, but Edge pointed out his own observations. According to him, such an alliance would deny any underdeveloped civilization its own ways, leading to either sped-up forced development, or leading to their destruction due to their lack of understanding of higher technology, or simply due to their own lust of power stimulated by unregulated contacts with off-worlders. This argument made Kenny reconsider his plans. Before the UP3 law was adopted by the newly created Terran Alliance in S.D. 12, such idea led the last surviving Eldarians to abandon their technology to live peacefully on Lemuris, choosing to regress to underdeveloped status in order to start anew there. The hyper-developed 3 bilion years old civilization of Morphus agreed to cease any contact with Earthlings and other civilizations in order to not stimulate the Missing Procedure. The Terran Alliance was thus put in charge to enforce this law on its own.
The reading of UP3
The original reading of the UP3 in S.D. 12 was accepted as follows:
- UNDERDEVELOPED PLANET PRESERVATION PACT
In order to preserve the peace and security of all intelligent races throughout the universe, and to eliminate any and all the threats to that peace and security, this Pact establishes a set of rules which all intelligent races shall be bound, and which all intelligent races shall unite in enforcing, according to the principles of justice and the laws of the Terran Alliance.
- Article I
- 1. All intelligent on all planets throughout the universe have the absolute, inalienable right to independent development, free from cultural interference, invasion and other destructive activities by more advanced beings.
- 2. All intelligent civilizations capable of interference with planets holding other intelligent races, and all members of said civilizations, are strictly prohibited from introducing any cultural, scientific, linguistic, or religious influences which may exceed the level the level of civilization present on such planet.
- 3. Any act of an intelligent being which violates either of the preceding paragraphs shall be deemed as having disrupted interstellar harmony, and all intelligent races shall have a duty t take united action against the perpetrator of said act.
- 4. Any intelligent being which, due to accident or as an effect of spacetime phenomena, finds itself unable to avoid interference with a planet or intelligent race whose level of civilization is inferior to its own shall limit the use of its own civilization to that necessary to preserve life, and shall take steps to minimize the effects of its interference on that planet and any intelligent races residing thereon.
It is unknown how many articles this law has or if there have been any novelization of the UP3 since its adoption.
Planets protected by the UP3
The following is a list of known planets protected by the UP3: